First of all, this is a rumor, but their are strong indications that it is true. If it is true, we need to relax. Apple will give us their pitch why they did it. My opinion, I am glad that a company is willing to take a chance and making something different. I have been wearing headphones for over 40 years, and to this day, I have not found affordable headphones that I like.
Here are some issues that I have experienced:
- High Cost - When your headphones cost more than your device, that is an issue
- Wires - Having your headphones yanked out of your ears is the worst feeling
- Over Ear - This is very uncomfortable feeling, especially on long flights
- In Ear - I have never found ear buds that fit precisely in my ears, and they always pop out at the most inconvenient time
- Sound - The more you pay the better the sound, not necessarily true sometimes they sound like $30 headphones
- Noise Cancelling - It is great when you do not want to be disturbed, but sometimes you need to hear what is around you
- Non Noise Cancelling - Sometimes you do not want to be disturbed, and people do not want to hear what you are listening to
- Wireless - Charging is a pain especially when you forget to charge
- Durability - Usually the build on headphones are not durable and are not meant to last
If Apple can make the new iPhone with at good speaker, this will help in using your headphones less. Apple is obviously going to redesign the earphones that come with the iPhone or maybe not. If they can solve any issues mentioned above, then I will be satisfied.
Thinking the current headphone situation is the best, I definitely disagree. There should be something better.